The first quarter of 2023 follows a tough year for investors. What’s to remember from these earnings? What is the good and bad news? Which companies should be on your radar and which ones are worth adding to your buy list? Mike shares his best insights after hours of reading reports for you.
Don’t miss tomorrow’s YouTube video on Canadian Banks! Subscribe to the channel now!
- It was a difficult quarter for two pipelines that Mike usually likes: Enbridge (ENB) and TC Energy (TRP). Will inflation, labor shortage, and regulations impact them much longer? What should shareholders do?
- In the consumer discretionary sector, things turned sour for VF Corporation (VFC), and it was not an excellent quarter for Magna International (MG.TO). Mike sold his positions in VFC and will closely follow MG.TO. Are you more patient?
- 3M (MMM) keeps piling up on bad news. On top of that, dividend growth is almost non-existent. Is it time to wave goodbye?
- Intel (INTC) was another dividend cutter this quarter. Mike explains why he believes the stock is a value trap.
- Vero throws a curveball to Mike with a hard question. We saw more dividend cutters from companies he likes in the last few months. Are dividend growers still outperforming the market? Is Mike’s strategy still relevant?
- Some of the Brookfield stocks are amongst the best opportunities. We can name BIP, BEP, BAM, and BN. Mike discusses what in this quarter makes them attractive.
- Disney (DIS) has cut its dividend during the pandemic. After over two years of waiting, shareholders now have some hope after the last earnings. The restructuring plan and the upcoming dividend reinstatement should please many!
- Two industrial companies reported good earnings: TFI International (TFII.TO) and Honeywell (HON). TFI announced a 30% dividend increase and HON reported organic sales growth of 10%.
- In the technology sector, there was good news for Lam Research (LRCX) with both revenue and EPS up 25%, beating analysts’ expectations.
- Mike shares a few words on Canadian Banks and why investors should be cautious with Scotiabank (BNS).
- Among the best news, these represent the best opportunities for investors: CNR.TO, RCH.TO, NTR.TO, MC.TO, WEC and MCD.
A Dividend King is a company that has increased its dividend for at least 50 consecutive years. At first sight, the whole list feels pretty safe. But the past is never a guarantee for the future…
Payout ratios can be a good start in your investigation of a company’s dividend safety. But which one should you use? What’s a good payout ratio and what does it tell you exactly?
The Best Dividends to Your Inbox!
Download our Top Stocks for 2023 booklet now and do not miss out on the good stuff! Receive our Portfolio Workbook and weekly emails including our latest podcast episode!
Follow Mike, The Dividend Guy, on:
If you have ideas for guests, topics for The Dividend Guy Blog podcast, or simply to say hello, then shoot me an email.
This podcast episode has been provided by Dividend Stocks Rock.